What youll need
- Be at least 18 years old (we’ll ask for proof)
- A government-issued photo ID (we don’t accept passport cards)
- A computer or smartphone connected to the internet
- A phone number connected to your smartphone (well send SMS text messages)
- The latest version of your browser (we recommend Chrome), or the latest Coinbase App version. If you’re using the Coinbase app, make sure your phone’s operating system is up-to-date.
Coinbase doesn’t charge a fee to create or maintain your Coinbase account.
We aim to to make cryptocurrency fast and simple to use, and that means providing our users mobile capability. The Coinbase mobile app is available on iOS and Android.
What mobile devices does Coinbase support?
The Coinbase iOS app is available in the App Store on your iPhone. To locate the app, open the App Store on your phone, then search for Coinbase. The official name of our app is Coinbase – Buy sell Bitcoin published by Coinbase, Inc.
The Coinbase Android app is available in the Google Play store on your Android device. To locate the app, open Google Play on your phone, then search for Coinbase. The official name of our app is Coinbase – Buy Sell Bitcoin. Crypto Wallet published by Coinbase, Inc.
Coinbase accounts-HawaiiAlthough we strive to provide continuous access to Coinbase services in all states in the US, Coinbase must indefinitely suspend its business in Hawaii.
The Hawaii Division of Financial Institutions (DFI) has communicated regulatory policies which we believe will render continued Coinbase operations there impractical.
In particular, we understand that the Hawaii DFI will require licensure of entities which offer certain virtual currency services to Hawaii residents. Although Coinbase has no objection to this policy decision, we understand the Hawaii DFI has further determined that licensees who hold virtual currency on behalf of customers must maintain redundant fiat currency reserves in an amount equal to the aggregate face value of all digital currency funds held on behalf of customers. Although Coinbase securely maintains 100% of all customer funds on behalf of our customers, it is impractical, costly, and inefficient for us to establish a redundant reserve of fiat currency over and above customer digital currency secured on our platform.
We ask Hawaii customers to please:
- Remove any digital currency balance from your Coinbase Account. Please note that you may remove digital currency from your Coinbase Account by sending your digital currency to an alternate digital currency wallet.
- Remove all of your US Dollar balance from your Coinbase account by transferring to your bank account.
- Lastly, visit this page to close your Account.
We understand this suspension will inconvenience our Hawaii customers and we apologize that we cannot currently project if or when our services may be restored.
To prevent fraud and to make any account-related changes, Coinbase will ask you to verify your identity from time-to-time. We also ask you to verify your identity to ensure no one but you changes your payment information.
Why am I being asked to verify my identity?
As part of our commitment to remain the most trusted cryptocurrency platform, all Identification Documents must be verified through the Coinbase website or mobile app. We do not accept emailed copies of your identity documents for verification purposes.
We collect necessary information to allow our customers to use our products and services. This primarily includes data collection that is mandated by law—such as when we must comply with anti money laundering laws, or to verify your identity and protect you from potential fraudulent activity. We may also collect your data to enable certain services, improve our products, and keep you notified of new developments (based on your preferences). We do not, and will not, sell your data to third parties without your consent.
What does Coinbase do with my information?
Why am I unable to upload my ID?
Why isnt my document being accepted?
There are a few reasons why our verification provider may be unable to process your request. Here are a few tips to help complete this step.
- Ensure that your document is valid. We are unable to accept an upload of an expired ID.
- Ensure your identification document is in a well lit area without much glare.
- Photograph the entire document, try to avoid cutting off any corners or sides.
- If having trouble with the camera on a desktop or laptop computer, try installing our iOS or Android app on your cell phone. You can use the mobile app to complete the ID verification step using your phones camera. The Identity Verification section can be found under Settings in the app.
- Trying to upload a US passport? At this time, we only accept US state-issued ID such as a Drivers License or Identification Card. We are unable to accept US passports due to the lack of indication of what state you reside in.
- For customers outside of the US, we are unable to accept scanned or otherwise saved image files at this time. If you do not have a webcam on your computer, the mobile app can be used to complete this step.
Can I send a copy of my document by email instead?
For your security, do not to send us or anyone else a copy of your ID via email. We will not accept such as a means of completing the identity verification process. All uploads must be completed via our secure verification portal.
Deposit and WithdrawalUsing a bank account is a great way to deposit funds or to purchase assets so that you can trade on Coinbase immediately, especially if you want to buy and sell with higher transaction limits.
How to use a bank account as a payment methodYou can do one of two things with a bank account.
- Transfer funds from your bank account into your Coinbase fiat wallet
- Use your bank account to purchase cryptocurrency directly
To deposit funds from your bank account to your Coinbase USD wallet:
1. Link your bank account to your Coinbase account
2. You can now initiate an ACH transfer by depositing funds - transfering fiat from your bank account to your USD wallet on Coinbase.
3. These funds are immediately available to use for buying and selling on Coinbase
- These funds may not be immediately available to withdraw from Coinbase (or to send to Coinbase Pro)
- Go to Available to send off Coinbase on web or Available to withdraw on mobile before confirming your purchase
4. Once your transaction is confirmed, you should see your deposited fiat or purchased crypto immediately available in your Coinbase Digital Wallet. You can buy, sell, or trade on Coinbase immediately after your purchase.
To purchase cryptocurrency directly using your bank account:
1. Link your bank account to your Coinbase account
2. You can now select your bank account as a payment method when you go to buy cryptocurrency - this will initiate an ACH transfer for the value of your purchase.
3. The crypto you purchase will be immediately available for trading on Coinbase
- This crypto may not be immediately available to withdraw from Coinbase
- Go to Available to send off Coinbase on web or Available to withdraw on mobile before confirming your purchase
4. Once your transaction is confirmed, you should see your crypto immediately available in your Coinbase Digital Wallet. You can buy, sell, or trade on Coinbase immediately after your purchase.
Please note, the name of your bank account must match the name of your personal Coinbase account for Coinbase.com. If you would like to use a business bank account instead, please consider applying for an account on Coinbase Prime.
To transfer cash from Coinbase to your linked debit card, bank account, or PayPal account, you first need to sell cryptocurrency to your USD wallet. After this, you can cash out the funds.
How do I transfer cash to my bank account?
Some payment methods such as credit and debit cards may require you to confirm all transactions with your bank. After starting a transaction, you may be sent to your banks website to authorize the transfer (Not applicable to US customers).
When will I receive my cryptocurrency from my card purchase?
Funds will not be debited from your bank, or credited to your Coinbase account, until the authorization process on your banks site is complete (US customers will see the bank transfer complete immediately with no confirmation through your bank). This process usually only takes a few minutes. If you choose to not authorize the transfer, no funds will be transferred and the transaction will usually expire after about one hour.
Note: Only applicable to certain US, EU, AU, and CA customers.
How to determine when funds will be available for withdrawal:
When will funds be available to withdraw from Coinbase?
- Before confirming a bank purchase or deposit, Coinbase will tell you when the purchase or deposit will be available to send off Coinbase
- Youll see this labeled as Available to send off Coinbase on the website, or Available to withdraw on the mobile app
- Youll also be given options if you need to send instantly.
When you use a linked bank account to deposit funds to your Coinbase fiat wallet, or use it to purchase cryptocurrency, this type of transaction is not a wire transfer such that Coinbase receives the funds immediately. For security reasons, you will not be able to immediately withdraw or send crypto off of Coinbase.
Why arent funds or assets available to move or withdraw off Coinbase immediately?
There are a variety of factors that will determine how much time it may take until you can withdraw your crypto or funds off of Coinbase. This includes but is not limited to your account history, transaction history, and banking history. Withdrawal-based limit holds typically expire at 4 pm PST on the date listed.
Yes. Your purchases or deposits will be subject to any existing restrictions on the account, regardless of which payment method you used.
Will my withdrawal availability affect other purchases?
In general, debit card purchases or wiring funds directly from your bank to your Coinbase USD wallet do not affect your withdrawal availability - if no restrictions exist on your account, you can use these methods to purchase crypto to send off of Coinbase immediately.
How do I verify my bank info?
When you add a payment method, two small verification amounts will be sent to your payment method. You must enter these two amounts correctly in your payment methods from your Settings in order to finish verifying your payment method.
Linking your bank account is only available in these regions at this time: US, (most of) EU, UK.
In some cases, you may need to contact your bank.
Bank verification amounts are sent to your bank and appear on your online statement and on your paper statement. For faster verification, youll need to access your online bank account and search for Coinbase.
For bank accounts, the two amounts will be sent as credits. If you dont see your credits, please try the following:
- Check your upcoming or pending transactions in your online bank account
- You may need to check your full bank statement, as these transactions may be omitted from some online banking apps and websites. A paper statement may be necessary
- If you dont see these transactions, speak with your bank to help track down any hidden or omitted details on your statement. Some banks will merge the verification credits, showing only the total amount
- If none of the previous options work, visit your payment methods page and remove and re-add the bank to have the credits sent again. Re-sending the verification credits will void the first pair sent, so you may end up with more than one pair of verification credits
If you are using an "online bank" or similar banking product offered by your bank, you may not receive the verification credits. In this case, the only option is to try another bank account.
For cards, these verification amounts will be sent as charges. Coinbase will make two test charges to the card of amounts between 1.01 and 1.99 in your local currency. These should appear in the recent activity section of your card issuers website as pending or processing charges.
- Charges for exactly 1.00 are not used for card verification and can be ignored. These are caused by the card processing network, and are separate from the Coinbase verification amounts
- Neither the verification amounts nor the 1.00 charges will post to your card—they are temporary. They will display as pending for up to 10 business days, then disappear.
If you dont see the verification amounts in your card activity, please try the following:
- Wait 24 hours. Some card issuers may take longer to display the pending amounts
- If you dont see the test charges appear after 24 hours, contact your bank or card issuer to ask if they can provide the amounts of any pending Coinbase authorizations
- If your card issuer is unable to find the charges, or if the amounts have already been removed, return to the payment methods page and select verify next to your card. You will see an option to re-charge your card at the bottom
- Sometimes your card issuer may flag one or all of these verification amounts as fraudulent and block the charges. If that is the case, you will need to contact your card issuer to stop the blocking, and then restart the verification process
Why are my payment method verification amounts incorrect?This article is for customers having difficulty verifying a payment method using amount verification.
If you receive an "incorrect amounts" error:
The most common cause of this error is adding the same payment method more than once. A new pair of verification amounts is sent each time the payment method is added, but only the most recent pair is valid. If you add, then remove, then re-add the same payment method over a short period of time, you will receive at least 4 credits, and its possible that the credit amounts will appear out of order.
In this situation, remove the payment method, wait at least one business day, then add it again. You can also contact support for assistance, but they will not be able to manually verify your payment method.
Other possible causes:
- If youre verifying a card, you may receive a third charge in the amount of 1.00. Charges for exactly 1.00 are not used for card verification and can be ignored. These are caused by the card processing network and are separate from the Coinbase verification amounts.
- Check to make sure your Coinbase profile is set to the correct country. Verification amounts are sent in local currency. If you have the wrong country selected, the amounts may be converted and will be incorrect.
- Some banks will round the amounts up to the nearest whole number or combine them into one charge. If this is the case, you will have to contact your bank to find out the exact amounts.
- If youre trying to enter the verification amounts using the mobile app but are being told the amounts are incorrect, first double check the amounts, then try entering them via the website instead.
In order to ensure the security of Coinbase users accounts and transactions, Coinbase may decline certain transactions (buys or deposits) if Coinbase observes suspicious activity.
Why did Coinbase cancel my order?
If you believe your transaction should not have been canceled, please follow these steps:
- Complete all verification steps, including verifying your identity
- Email Coinbase Support so your case can be further reviewed.
Advanced trading is currently available to a limited audience and only accessible on web. We’re working hard to make this feature available to more customers soon.
To view all of your open orders, select Orders under the Order management section on web—advanced trading is not available on the Coinbase mobile app yet. You’ll see each of your orders that are currently awaiting fulfillment as well as your complete order history.
To cancel an open order, make sure youre viewing the market your order was placed (e.g. BTC-USD, LTC-BTC, etc). Your open orders will be listed in the Open Orders panel on the trading dashboard. Select X to cancel individual orders or select CANCEL ALL to cancel a group of orders.
How do I cancel an open order?
Funds reserved for open orders are placed on hold and will not appear in your available balance until the order is executed or canceled. If you would like to release your funds from being on "hold," you will need to cancel the associated open order.
Why are my funds on hold?
When an order is partially filled, it means that there is not enough liquidity (trading activity) in the market to fill your entire order, so it may take several orders to execute in order to fill your order completely.
Why is my order being partially filled?
If your order is a limit order, it will only fill at the specified price or a better price. So if your limit price is much higher or lower than the current trading price of an asset, the order will likely execute closer to the current trading price.
My order executed incorrectly
Additionally, depending on the volume and prices of orders on the Order Book at the time when a market order is posted, the market order may fill at a price less favorable than the most recent trade price—this is called slippage.